Free Quaker Meeting House
The tradition of the Quaker religion is that they are pacifists. During the Revolutionary War, however, some Quakers in Philadelphia believed that they were duty bound to fight the British. As they joined state militias, they were banned from their congregations. About 200 of them called themselves "Free Quakers" and founded their own meeting house in 1783.
The Free Quakers only lasted until about 1834, when the meeting house was closed. One of the few remaining members who helped close the meeting house was Betsy Ross.
Over the years, the building was subsequently used as a school, a library and a warehouse. Today it is open to the public.
The Free Quaker Meeting House is located on Arch Street, between 5th and 6th, across from the Christ Church Cemetery
Lewis Publishing Company
Copyright 2005 - 2007