Headhouse Market and Shambles
Around 1745 a marketplace was started at Second and Pine streets, just south of the Independence Hall area. Fresh meats, fish and vegetables were sold here. The covered market was called a "shambles", an old English word meaning butcher shop or meat stalls. At the north end of the market stands a fire house (head house), home of one of the oldest volunteer fire companies in the country. The head house was built in 1805.
Theaters     |    Museums
|    Historic District     |    Center City
Lewis Publishing Company
Copyright 2006 - 2007